Well its been a while since I posted anything and things haven’t been going as well as I had hoped, weight wise I mean. All the rest of the things in my life are going great, my daughter is 7 months old already! My god! I still can’t believe how fast she is growing, she is such a sweetheart!
The thing I am not happy about now is my weight. I had only managed to gain 5 lbs after the baby.. It was actually 25 lbs total but I lost 20 lbs right away once I had her. Now I’m up to 15 lbs of weight gain and I have plenty of excuses.. the fact of the matter is, I gained and I shouldn’t have.
I had joined the gym recently with my full intention of losing again. The gym was close to where I lived but I just couldn’t find the time with an active baby and her sleep schedule being all over the place.. Not to mention I just really didn’t like the gym at all. Yeah it was closer to where I live but they just didn’t have equipment that I enjoyed using, needless to say it just didn’t work.
The food is where my problem is.. this really is the only thing that has changed since I had the baby. When I was pregnant I was eating really healthy. Up until I started supplementing with formula. At which point I guess I just figured what’s the point, she’s not getting much nutrition from me anyways. Probably not the best decision.. from that point on it was downhill.
When you are away from sugary foods and gluten, you really do forget how addictive they are and how incredibly hard it is to get away from them again. It’s like they call your name, all the time. What’s one more piece of toast, or one more cup of hot chocolate?
I tell myself that I don’t have the time to make big meals and freeze them or plan meals ahead of time. It’s crazy the amount of time spent doing things at home for the baby and I still feel like I’ve gotten absolutely nothing done!
It’s time to change some of my priorities right now and make the time for my health. I know I can do it, I did it before. Yeah I didn’t have a baby at the time but who’s to say I can’t do it again? I need to prove it to myself that I can do this again.. baby in tow.
I do have an advantage this time around. I know I can do it. The first time I was 70-80 lbs over weight and I had never lost weight before. Never! I didn’t think it was possible. NOW, I know it is. I just have to plan better. Plus it’s only 15 lbs.. I’ve lost 60 lbs, I’m sure I can lose 15 lbs!
Here are the steps I need to make to make some changes in my life once again.
1. Drink water – I’ve been drinking more juice and juice = sugar. Even fruit just is not like having a piece of fruit. A piece of fruit has fiber which aids in digesting the fruit sugar. Fruit juice has no fiber at all it’s just pure sugar.. Sugar that ultimately turns into fat.. Water it is..
2. Plan meals ahead of time – I haven’t done this in a while and it has so many advantages. Yes it takes time but it also saves on buying a bunch of groceries I’m not going to use and eventually gets thrown out. It also makes it easy for me to cook ahead because I have the ingredients and when I’m rushed, I don’t need to actually think about what to eat. I know already. I just grab it and go. Solution = make time to plan..
3. Stop eating gluten – I am gluten intolerant. I know that for sure but it’s so incredibly difficult to stay away from the stuff. It’s everywhere! Summertime is hard because you have BBQ’s, you go out for dinner or you visit friends or go on an adventure. Gluteny foods is all you have to eat at some places. I have many health problems just from eating gluten, it needs to go back out of my life and I need to be more careful. That’s all their is to it. No more excuses. I need to plan for situations where I know I won’t have many food options. Solution = stop buying it, stay away from it, plan better.
4. Stay away from sugar – yeah sugar. The food that is as addictive as heroin. Seriously it is.. there are studies out there that prove it. I can’t stay away from the stuff. I have this ongoing battle in my brain. Oh what’s the difference if you have a glass of juice, what’s it going to hurt? I drink it then I regret it. Seriously, did I really need to just drink that glass of juice? It’s unbelievable how easily you talk yourself into stuff like that.. and you really don’t think about the consequences fully until you’ve already ingested the stuff. It’s like this brain fog. Your brain doesn’t work properly until you’ve ingested the food. Then you can think clearly, that’s when you regret your decision. Sugar causes more health problems then you are probably aware of, it’s toxic to your body, causes inflammation EVERYWHERE… Solution= stop buying the stuff! Seriously Tiana! Cut it out!
5. Outside Aisle grocery shopping – I have to admit I am starting to spend time in the inner aisles of the grocery store. Probably has something to do with the fact that I don’t plan ahead. Outer aisles are healthier – inner aisles have processed foods, gluten, sugar. Things I don’t need. Tiana stay away from the inner aisles would you.
There you have it, my top 5 things I need to do to lose weight. Notice how exercise isn’t even on my list? That’s because I have lost weight consistently, and healthfully without the exercise. It is all about the foods you eat. Think of exercise as a way of strengthening, not a way of losing weight. Yeah it helps a bit but it’s not a main factor in weight loss. That’s where I have been wrong for so many years. I look at exercise as a way to strengthen my muscles(Especially the ever important heart muscle) to be strong, to improve my endurance and to make it easier to play longer.
Also wanted to say that I need to start reading up on my favourite blog – www.dietdoctor.com I love this blog, it reminds me just how good it is for you to eat Low Carb, High Fat. Why sugar is bad and it has tons of great info, studies, athletes, doctors and scientists advice, videos.. it’s really just a great site! Check it out if you haven’t already.